Monday, July 14, 2008

HDR landscape

Here is my latest attempt at HDR. The exposure problems were only minor (the detail in the sky was blown out) so the real reason I processed it like this was to bring out the details. I like how HDRs do that. I try to keep mine subtle too so they don't look cartoonish, flat, or overprocessed.

This is the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. The HDR is made with only one photo. I took it in RAW so I could export different exposures after the fact. Actually, with this one I exported 5 different exposures. I used the original exposure plus -2, -1, +1 and +2. I use photomatix to combine them. After all images are combined I do the tone mapping. I will go over the basic settings I use here:

Keep the strength low unless you want to look way overprocessed. I think I used around 30-40.

I put smooting on High, and Microcontrast too (this is where the details really come out)

Adjust black and white clip as necessary.

The luminosity is important. Adjusting it can increase the local contrast as well. Adjust it to your preference. Overdoing this can again make things look overprocessed in my opinion.

Keep the saturation lower then you think. If it looks good in the preview it usually ends up being a little too much from what I have found.


When all that is done I usually take the exported, tone mapped imaged into photoshop and maybe adjust the curves, maybe sharpen it up. Of course it depends on the image.

This one came out alright. It does look pretty processed, but the HDR did bring back my sky, and there is a ton of detail in the cliffs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work~