Friday, July 18, 2008

Selling Stock Photos Online

For all you aspiring photographers out there, you may at some point consider trying to sell your images online. One way to do this is by selling them as stock photos. Keep in mind, selling as stock requires a specific kind of photograph. Basically, it needs to be something that graphic artist would need. This definitely doesn't apply to all photos.

Anyway...I wanted to share a few things I have learned about selling stock photos. First of all, it is not easy money. Your photos have to be good, and you have to have a lot of them to make money. It is tough to get noticed. However, I have had a little bit of success (by little I mean I made 20 bucks) using www.fotolia.com. This has been with minimal effort and very average pictures, so I guess that means anybody can do it. Here is my online portfolio. You will see that it is nothing special. It is definitely worth a try to everyone. There is nothing to lose except the time and effort.

Beyond simply recommending fotolia I will also refer you to an article I wrote a long time ago about making money off your images online. Read through it. There are a lot of good ideas, info, and web pages you may not know about it. Here is the article. Feel free to leave comments if you know some things I don't, or share your success stories.